Monday, March 26, 2012

2012 Spring Cleaning Get Organized Challenge - Challenge #1

I attended the webinar hosted by Tiffany Spaulding of ScrapRack on Monday, March 19.  My scrap area isn't overly disorganized because I don't have as much stuff as others who have been scrapping for years and years, so this is more a pre-emptive strike to avoid becoming a  candidate for an A&E television show. 


My scrap area is small (only 7 x 12).  Because I'm in a finished attic loft, the challenge for me is the outer wall of my room -- it's only 2 feet high -- and then I have to contend with a ceiling that has a nearly 45-degree slope.  Despite my short stature (I'm only 5'2"), I am constantly bonking my head on it.  You can see pictures here.  Only about 4 feet of that 7-foot span is usable space for standing.  Plus, it gets pretty warm up there during the summer.


While I am going through the 8-week Get Organized Challenge, in the back of my mind I will be trying to decide whether I want to stay in the loft or move my scrap area down to my dining room (which has stood empty, waiting for the "perfect" dining room table for over a year).  There is tons more space, it stays pretty cool, and I don't hit my head.  But what if I finally see the perfect dining room table?  Therein lies my dilemma.


OK.  Back to the Challenge.  The challenge this week is as follows:
  1. Use my craft supplies to create a "Big Benefit" reminder, and a reward list for each of the 8 challenges I complete.  It has to be hung up somewhere where I can see it every day.
  2. Read the 4 Section System Article here.
  3. Create my "Themes" index.
  4. Gather my supplies together in one room or space.
  5. Set my purge goals, get a purge box, and find a home for my purge.
  6. Evaluate my space for visibility and accessibility.  Make changes and prepare the space for my supplies.
  7. Join the 2011 Get Organized Challenge Group on Facebook.
I completed #2, 4, and 7 right away.  Item #5 was a little difficult for me, as I am just a beginning crafter and don't really have all that much stuff that needs to be purged (or I won't have anything left!).  So I've decided that I'm not going to set a purge goal for now.  That may change with subsequent challenges.


I got my "Big Benefit" page (item #1) put together by Wednesday ... but man, I had a hard time with the rewards.  I really don't have to work my schedule around a husband or kids (just a pesky job), so the "leave me alone" time is pretty much whenever I want, and I don't have to answer to anyone else for my spending either ... so I really had to work to get some rewards that would motivate me.  Here is what I ended up with:
I finally got my Themes Index (item #3) done on Sunday night (I was sidetracked by a weekend crop at Archiver's with my sister -- I'll post more on that later).  I had to add a couple of new themes after my visit, but it's also done now.


The last item on my list was #6, and I'm still debating the loft vs. dining room question.  Hopefully, I'll have that sorted out soon.  Tonight ... webinar #2!

No comments:

Post a Comment